10.07.2010

1318 4th Ave. - An Aural History, Vol. 1

I apologize for the time it has taken to contribute my second installment in this series, but I can assure you it was due to circumstances beyond my control.

It is the opinion of this writer that not everyone is as willing to speak about or is as nostalgic as yours truly when discussing days gone by.

As I had mentioned in my previous offering to this site, my intention with these entires is to remind those of you whom are old enough to remember and, perhaps, educate those who were not, about Huntington's early days when it was attempting to define itself as a musically viable city.

The contributions of people like John Kerwood, Brian Barlow, Erik Raines and Russ Fox cannot be overstated in the city's musical development and evolution.

All four were instrumental in Huntington's rise from the once-overlooked touring stop to an eventual necessity for regional recognition. (Kerwood and Barlow operating Gumby's, and Raines and Fox programming WMUL 88.1.)

What better way to honor their contributions than to let their musical accomplishments speak for themselves?

This is the first volume in a series that I've entitled "1318 4th Ave. - An Aural History."

These playlists will be highlighting the acts that performed at the venues located at that address in Huntington during the early-to-mid 1990's, beginning with those whom first graced the stage at Gumby's.

This first volume begins with the legendary Hasil Adkins, whose first documented performance at the venue occurred Thursday, March 21, 1991, and concludes with perennial favorites Die Monster Die.

Trust me, there's plenty more where this came from, so stay tuned.



--- email Justin at:
huskermats@yahoo.com

No comments: